Tuesday 1 November 2016

OUGD502: Contacting Creatives 01

GREY London

Grey is one of the largest and most successful advertising firms in central London, based in Farringdon. Their work caters for profit and not for profit organisations, exploring eco typography solutions such as Rymann's eco-typeface, designed to use less ink than alternative typefaces, as well as advertising campaigns for some of the worlds biggest clients. Grey was responsible for The Dove Real Women campaign, expressing natural beauty away from photoshop and shot by David Bailey- one of my all time favourite photographers and campaigns.

Kate Allsop

I was really interested to hear about the experience of working in an agency like this, and after discussing my future plans, a family friend gave me the email address of Kate Allsop, an advertising creative currently working for Grey! 

Kate has previously worked at Ogilvy & Mather, with a keen focus on art direction and typography. I was aware from my conversation with a family friend Kate had imputed to the Real Women Campaign, so I was really interested in meeting and interviewing her.


The process of getting in touch with Kate was really easy, giving me confidence to contact more professionals in the future. I plan to meet Kate on the 30th November and interview her, asking about her experience and other aspects of her practice.

________________________________________________



The meet up with Kate went really well, she was really friendly and down to earth and the interview was much more relaxed than planned. I recorded the conversation on my phone, using a prompt sheet of things to ask her about, which was a useful tool as I wasn't scrambling for ideas or time to get down what she said. We had a coffee at the Grey and Kate asked to see some of my work. She said gave positive feedback, saying it was a much better standard of art working and concept explanation than some of the current people there on placement, she also said how she'd like to keep in touch and talk about placements in the future! 

Since this, Kate phoned me and said that a placement at Grey was not possible without going through the proper process on the website- something I plan to do. 

Kate gave me some advice recently to contact the specific people handling placements directly, and send my portfolio to them. Kate mentions a book, which is a tangible portfolio  which could be a really nice touch to appeal to each company directly.




I plan to keep in touch with Kate and explore the possibility of a placement at Grey. I am really happy with Kate's response and that she wants to keep in touch with me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment