Thursday 5 November 2015

OUDG402// Study Task 02- Why am I here?

WHY THIS COURSE? //

  • I've never done Graphic Design before in education, despite always being an admirer throughout Photography and Textiles A Levels. One tutor in A2 commented "thats a really nice piece of Graphics-", in response to my photography work, making me think more along these lines.
  • Examples of students work on the LCA course identified with me strongly, their creative techniques and idea's stood out above the rest... 
  • High employment rating (you have to think practically).
  • To learn about digital processes and industry know-how from industry professionals, who have lead their own firms and worked in the industry for years and years.
  • Leeds is a great student city, so LCA appealed to me above the others due to the warm community feel you get within the art school. The way I saw it was i'd rather be comfortable and enjoying study, rather than venturing to somewhere like London and not being able to afford rent.


See more at http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/study/undergraduate-programmes/ba-(hons)-graphic-design/gallery/#showcase-20


LEARN //

  • How to competently use Adobe Illustrator and Dreamweaver, being able to create professional finishes and hopefully my own website someday.
  • Exploring a range of hand rendered design techniques such as letter press, whilst becoming more experienced at screen-printing (even creating my own silk screen would be an interest).
  • Improving my own interest of Fashion Illustration and incorporating it into work somehow
  • I'd love to learn design conventions within editorials, and therefor know how to challenge them
  • Develop knowledge of a breadth of past and present practitioners, from a range of sectors. I'd love to think of a project and instantly relate it to dozens of influential creatives, allowing me to generally learn who's who and what's what. You can never have too much knowledge. 

STRENGHTS? //

  • I feel intricate illustrations are a strength of mine, especially when produced quickly to showcase an idea. During the 'Welcome to Leeds' brief I chose to represent 'The Tetley' through illustration, partly as its my favourite medium but because illustration conveyed a better style than digital for that particular brief.
  • Photoshop- After doing a Photography A Level and Foundation degree primarily using photoshop for everything, it is the main piece of software which I feel most competent. The simple layout and range of possibilities created quickly through PS alone has always been an interest, probably why I paid the most attention to it.
  • Layout and Editorials- For part of my Final Major Project for Foundation Art and Design, I created a magazine/ brochure for 'We Are Cow' (vintage clothing companies) rebrand. This had me exploring a range of sleek and uncompressed methods, which I feel has allowed me to become a better designer.
  • Idea's Generation- Probably the most necessary strength when it comes to the creative industries. Even though it often takes me quite a while to come up with a solid idea, I have become pretty confident with myself that it will often come (at some point!). 
  • Although I do not see this as a strength, when asking friends about my strengths they all said 'Presentation Skills and Confidence'. I see no point in being afraid of a crowd, and if you believe in your idea then why be shy to voice it? 
A few digitally rendered Fashion Illustrations I have created over the past few months...

  


IMPROVE //

  • Digital skills including Illustrator, further Photoshop and anything else relevant. In this modern era a designer cannot be fully functioning without professional competency within these programs- especially illustrator it seems. A current brief where I have to create a typeface (see studio practice blog), is proving really hard due to being digitally rendered on Illustrator.
  •  Illustration- As this is a huge area of interest for me as a practitioner, I want to hone my technique, both by hand and digitally, in whilst keeping a 'rough and ready' style.
  • Screen Printing- Although I have been screen printing for 3+ years, I feel I could be much more ambitious with my production of ideas using this method. Furthermore, I will always make some sort of mistake (at least once) in any given project, especially when I am running out of material and carelessness occurs. 
    A few paper bags screen printed with my repeat pattern for my Foundation FMP

    My End of year stand for my Final Major Project where I rebranded 'WE ARE COW'. As you can see, the left wall includes screen printed tote bags which didn't come out that well (due to my own carelessness), but they had to be used anyway as I ran out of bags.
  • Time planning- I am okay at organising what needs to be done but guaranteed like clockwork, 2 days before the deadline I will be flapping like a headless pigeon. Let's try and avoid this in future.
  • One of the most crucial aspects of a Graphic Design degree it seems is self reflection, a area which I feel is my weakest. When it comes to analysing my own work, I always tend to leave out bits of reasoning because I already know why it was done- but naturally, the reader does not. This needs to be improved, not just for better marks but also as my progression as a designer. 
  • Not taking critique too personally- Even though I do have a thick skin, it is hard to hear criticism of work you have really really tried on. The important thing to think of, is that all feedback is for your own good. Remember...
      Fail, Fail Harder and Fail Better


INSPIRATION //
  • Erwin Blumenfeld is a 20th Century Photographer who created some of the most iconic images of the era, incorporating unorthodox and extremely creative techniques. His view on the world through his imagery is truly inspiring, especially as he comes from such background of tragedy. - http://www.erwinblumenfeld.com

  • Album covers have the capability of touching people who wouldn't class themselves as 'art lovers', or 'design enthusiasts', which is one of the things I love about them...





  • Controversial advertising- through one simple piece of work the whole world can start a debate over social media and (hopefully) open peoples eyes in one way or another.
Another belter from United Colors of Benetton, carrying on from their success of influential adverts in the 1980's and 90's.
See more at : http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/benetton-history-shocking-ad-campaigns-pictures-252087

A Egyptian campaign raising awareness over domestic abuse in different cultures- http://smashinghub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Best-Public-Campaign-10.jpg

  • Charlotte Heal is a Graphic Designer and master of Art Direction based in London, who has lead the rebrands for several design magazines including Lula, Kinfolk, LOVE  etc. C. Heal is a huge influence to me as it shows what can be accomplished as a young ambitious woman. Her style ranges from publication to publication, showing the vast range covered under the heading of 'Graphic Design', incorporating 'modern' design and more traditional approaches through photography and art direction.



  • The genre of Postmodernism has become a huge interest of mine lately, mainly as it is so incredibly freeing. From a Vignelli point of view psycadellic artwork may induce seizures however, when curated in simpler ways (such as Printed Pages Magazine A/W 15'), it is thought provoking and almost exemplary from modernist critique.

http://www.companyofparrots.com/products/printed-pages-autumn-winter-2015


CREATIVE INTERESTS //


Jack Hughes, Digital Illustrator - http://jack-hughes.com
Illustrative Collage by Ashkan Honarvar, incorporating photography and digital manipulation in a soft and engaging way. This style of design really appeals to me as it is essentially showing the viewer what they know, but in a way throwing them right out of their comfort zone- thus making an emotive impact.  - http://www.morfae.com/431c-ashkan-honarvar/

Issey Miyake's 'A Piece Of Cloth', 2010 exhibition at the Barbican Gallery utilises set design, couture and large scale instillation all in one mesmerising exhibition. Maiyake and like designers always think big and overcome any restrictions they face, making catwalk (and exhibition) curation a huge interest of mine as the bigger the better. So many ambitious creations have been brought to life, this just being one of them, and I hope the people who said 'you can't do that' are proved wrong. - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/432978951645905854/
Mario Testino's 'Towel Series' which is still ongoing, looks at celebrities in nothing but a towel or bathrobe. Here you can see Anna Wintour, a notoriously powerful woman is represented as strong and independent, despite being in nothing but a bathrobe. Her defensive pose would lead some to believe she is feeling uncomfortable, but the wide body language juxtaposing this alongside the intense eye contact and confident stare put her in control. Another reason I love Towel Series is that the Male Gaze (theory by Laura Mulvey) is completely twisted. The women are cast in the way they WANT to be portrayed and are shown to be confident empowered figures. See more at http://www.mariotestino.com/photography/personal-projects/the-towel-series/

No comments:

Post a Comment