Monday 30 January 2017

OUGD502: North West Opera Studios pt.2

After creating some posters for them last year and over some, I continued to do this when returning to university. The experience with them taught me a lot, as they were very demanding and contradictory in a lot of ways. 

I wanted to portray an operatic scene, photographed and re-worked. This way I would have a range of images to use for a range of designs, including social media and larger one off posters.

Setting up the scenes

I shot in a range of places, ensuring a clean backdrop each time, these were purely to work out the composition. Sadly since this I have lost all of my work, prior to blogging about it, but I am in the process of getting it back.





As I have a personal connection with the woman who commissioned me, we agreed on a 10 day time period to also accommodate for university work and troubles in my personal life. However, since agreeing to this time scale deadlines were unrealistically brought forward to 3 days notice. As I was on a bit of a creative block at the time, I took inspiration from the theatre and set design, as well as other influences such as Bergdorf Goodmans Windows, and chose to do something hands on. 

I discussed my idea's and concerns with Debbie and Anne and they said to do what was possible, so I went to the shop and purchased some flowers as props for £7. The rest of the props were locally sourced from my shared house and printed on black and white 2p paper in LCA. As the cost was only small, I mentioned it when sending over the finished work and they refused to pay that small fee. I am aware I agree'd to work for free, however their actions made me really question my self worth, and that if what I produced isn't even worth £7 by someone who supports me then it won't be worth £10 to anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment