Monday 1 May 2017

OUGD502: NEST Submission and Opening Night


'Where is My Mind', NEST 'Form' Submission


NEST is the collages magazine, and was taking a call for submissions centred around the concept of FORM. I called this piece 'where is my mind', stemming from the Mancuria Ans artwork and 'Where is my mind?' by The Pixies. I had previously created in the year. The initial map of Manchester was distorted and re-appropriated to create playful figures and suggestive faces, suggesting that the subjects minds are scattered across the city. By rotating and altering the maps, it was clear faces started to emerge and using further illustrative techniques, made into a new piece of graphics. This was a personal piece for me as at the time I felt my head was very much the same, split between multiple places at once and almost exploding in the visible style shown. I was happy with the piece submitted, however it was not chosen to be included within the magazine.

Despite not getting into the magazine, I wanted to go to the launch to support the independent mag, and Erin's hard work. The NEST magazine launch was a huge success, hosted at Colours May Vary in March. The opening night accumulated creatives and LCA students a like, all discussing the work in the magazine, with the most popular focusing on aesthetic quality. Looking at the content of the Nest Form issue I realised perhaps incorporating something more aesthetically pleasing, perhaps photographic, would have made the design more successful, rather than deciphering the brief to mean formal elements, however this was not for me to know at the time, but something to keep in mind for the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment